Sign up to receive a fortnightly email from say it with news and fresh designs

Monday 30 July 2012

New Year New Craft #3 - Needle felting

At the beginning of the year I picked four new crafts that I'd like to try this year. I quickly had a go at some button jewellery and fimo modelling. The year's not quite so new any more, but I am still pursuing the other two crafts and have recently bought myself a needle felting kit :-)

It came with a brief page of instructions, that basically said 'stab it lots'. So I did. I tried stabbing wool onto a felt backing and then cut it out to create a heart shape:


Not too bad for a first attempt. Then I tried making a flower:


Somehow it doesn't look quite right and it's quite flimsy. I'm not sure it would last very long if I turned it into a brooch. Perhaps I didn't stab it enough??

Then I had the brilliant idea of including ribbon to try and make a flower:


Disaster! Stabbing the needle through the ribbon just pulled the threads. I almost didn't show you this one as it's so bad it's embarrassing

But I started to get the hang of it and made another flower:


Finally, something I can be proud of saying "I made this". I'm going to turn it into a brooch I think. I shall have to see if I can repeat this success - if I can I'm hoping to have a few little flowers like this in my folksy shop soon (ish!).

I have thoroughly enjoyed my attempts at needle felting so far and hope I get chance to experiment a bit more soon. It's quite therapeutic repeatedly stabbing at something


I'm linking this post into handmade monday again. It's a fab link party where you can find out about what all sorts of crafty people have been making recently. Do pop over and take a look at some of the other blogs that have linked up.

13 comments:

  1. Needlefelting is on my bucket list :) Looks like you got the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah. I can definitely recommend giving it a try, it's so much fun! Doesn't take long to start making things that look ok (just be prepared for a disaster or two first!). Just had a look at your blog too - I'm a new fan!

      Delete
  2. Lots of lovely makes, but I especially like the purple flower. Very pretty. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fun, I want to try needle-felting this year! The white flower looks fab, well done :) Hx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Needle felting is on my (too long) to-do-one-day list too. I am in awe of your gorgeous white flower with button and I love that you showed us your first attempts, too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on your needle felting, fun to do but oh so addictive

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like lots of people have needle felting on their to-do lists - definitely give it a go. Caroline, I agree, it is addictive when you get going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must get my needlefelting things out again, you're right, it's very absorbing. I was bought some as a gift and made a few creatures - I used pipe cleaners to form rudimentary skeletons, wrapped them in the basic roving, then stabbed the beautiful coloured stuff on top. Great fun! Really hurts if you stab yourself though :( Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think that any of them look that bad but I agree that you should be especially proud of the white flower. Love the way you have used a button.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like a bit of needle felting too, like you say it is very therapeutic! I tried wet felting recently, didn't think it was something I would like but I was very wrong! Hoping to do a course on it this Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooo, love the felt stuff. Never had a go myself but always think things made from it look lovely and kind-of fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fancy doing it too. The only times I have felted so far is when I wash things too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on your first attempt, you'll find it completely addictive!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I always love reading them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...